MIE SPELING ‘S REEL GRATE!

Discussion in 'Issue Workshop' started by Drasnia, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Drasnia

Drasnia Member Former Delegate Vocals

Title: MY SPELING"S REEL GRATE!

Description: Results to a spelling test showed that the students of @@NATIONNAME@@ had the worst results in the whole region.

Options:
    [option]“This is awful.” @@RANDOMNAME@@, your education advisor, says. “Children are the future of our glorious country. We need to help them. The government can fund some education initiatives and raise teacher salaries. We would need to raise taxes, but it’s for the children.”
    [effect]Millions of @@CURRENCY@@ are used to boost teacher salaries.
    [stats]Government increases slightly. Taxes increase slightly

[option]“Sure, bad scores are, well, bad, but why draw attention to it.” @@RANDOM NAME@@, your nefarious half-brother says. “Why not just give a tax break. That will shift everybody’s attention.”
    [effect]Tax breaks are used often to keep people from noticing bad grades in school.
    [stats]Taxes decrease slightly. Government corruption increases slightly

[option]“Who needs schools anyway?” Says @@RANDOM NAME@@, a high school dropout. “I learned most of mine grammar at home, anyways. That’s how most kids learn, from their parents.”
    [effect]High school dropout rates rise almost as fast as fast-food employment.
    [stats]Civil Freedoms increases slightly. Stupidity increases greatly.

2. Panageadom

Panageadom Confirmed Nation

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I'm worried about the premise of this issue. This issue seems to be about about poor educational standards, which I would obviously argue is covered by my issue http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=88#273. However, the premise of declining ability to spell and use grammar correctly is something that has not been specifically covered (should a nation care if everyone can understand the "NewSpeak"?), and could be interesting ground for something. However, the options you've written don't really address that side of affairs specifically.

And a small thing, possibly not getting a joke here, but as a scientist, no-one ever concludes anything off the basis of a single spelling test.

3. Drasnia

The joke is that governments sometimes do make decisions after one thing, or is that just me?

As for the first paragraph, could you specify a little bit more?

4. Panageadom

That's what I thought you were getting at.

What do you want me to specify? I think the ground you've written is already covered by existing issues, but that a related topic, whether it matters that young people are comprehensible but unable to spell, could be interesting.

5. Drasnia

alright. Second draft is being edited

6. Drasnia

This issue is void. I just got the issue "Hukd on Fonix wurkd 4 me!" My issue is almost the exact same.

7. Panageadom

Shame about that.

8. Drasnia

I know. I worked hard on it